Saturday, January 9, 2010

Gay marriage vote

As you probably know by now, the bill to legalize gay marriage failed in NJ this week by a vote of 20 to 14, with 5 senators either not voting or absent. This is a victory, though the gay lobby is turning to the courts now to get marriage legalized here. But thanks to the many who contacted your representatives, especially senators. Our local senator Jennifer Beck said that she was very personally conflicted about the issue, but decided to represent the views of her constituents (us!), who overwhelmingly told her office that marriage should not be redefined. Your calls and emails mattered!

If you want to see Beck's statement, or the inside scoop on how the vote went and your senator voted, send me an email.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update Pastor Ken. I did write to Senator Beck and it was the first time I had ever written an actual e-mail (not just added my name to a list, or filled in the blanks of a format)with my genuine thoughts and opinions. I am so encouraged to hear that it made a difference and I would do it again.

    Jen Forquignon

    ReplyDelete