Friday, June 24, 2011

My garden

Most people don't know that I am a hard-core gardener. My dad taught me this when I was young. I have always loved nature and outdoors, along with animals and of course minerals and fossils. In high school I even took care of the family garden, weeding and all. If I had a thousand lives, one of them would be spent as a gentleman gardener (to do it all the time would be hot and hard work, others would do the weeding!)

Tuesday was a great day, I spent half of it planting my garden. It was cool and overcast, perfect planting weather. I put in green beans, pole beans, okra, lettuce, 2 kinds of tomatillo, 4 types of pumpkins (regular, dill giant, white and jack-be-little), gourds, squash (zucchini, yellow, butternut, others), cucumbers, shallots, kohlrabi, and many tomatoes (better boy, brandywine-an Amish heirloom-the best tasting tomato, roma, polish linguisa, sweet million and a few others), which I grew from seed.

The coolest thing, which has never happened to me before, is that a box turtle was in our garden a week ago, and buried a nest of her eggs there, right in the middle! So we may have baby turtles along with our tomatoes from our garden.

If you are by our house, stop by and I will show you the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment