Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Favorite thing in London

Several people have asked me about what I liked best on our trip to London and its surroundings.  Kew Gardens, Stonehenge, and the British Museum were all most impressive.  But my favorite will surprise you.

The British Library has a room of historic books and writings of all sorts (Gutenberg Bible, Beatles original songs, Shakespeare's plays, etc.)  But the most valuable is the Codex Sinaiticus.  This is a 4th century manuscript of the Bible, one of the two oldest, most famous, and original in the world (Codex Vaticanus is in Rome).  The story of its discovery is worthy of an Indiana Jones movie (check out the story on wikipedia). But it was an amazing experience to be inches away (it is is an alarmed glass case) from maybe the oldest copy of the Bible in the world.  I stood in front of it and just gazed at it for a long time.  It is written in capital Greek letters, mostly without word breaks, just continuous letters.  I was able to read a few words from it.

God's word is an incredibly powerful thing.

1 comment:

  1. I share your interests. I would have stayed in front of that case studying straining and enjoying it until my wife and kids pulled me away kicking and screaming!

    ReplyDelete