Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Idols in Manalapan

I have never seen so many idols as I did this morning prayer-walking through the Yorktown development in Manalapan. By idols, I mean statues of Mary, and other saints (usually St. Francis of Assissi). There must have been at least half a dozen homes with them, maybe a dozen or more in my morning's jaunt. In Marlboro there were many homes with statues of Buddha, and a few here and there of Mary- but what is the difference? Who is being exalted, Jesus or a person?

When I see these, something in me rises up and wants to smash them, like Gideon in the Bible (Judges 6:25-27). This would not be good- I can see the paper headline, "Pastor arrested for destroying private property,and for religious intolerance!"

But we do need to pray against what I think may be a local stronghold.

7 comments:

  1. If you decide to go Buddha smashing, give me a call, I'll join you... and I'll bring my baseball bat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are likely Catholic homes, and a concentration of them at that. Here in Ecuador, and pretty much throughout South America, Mary is venerated to the point of idol worship. There are statues and shrines set up in many public places. There might be an edifice along a public highway, in the middle of nowhere, with a Mary statue behind glass, ornately dressed, surrounded by flowers and candles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you thought about leaving a tract on the statues? I have seen many also while driving around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well now that you're in my neck of the woods I would like to join you now and then in your morning walk. I live at 5 Nottingham Rd. right off Blenheim rd. near the pond.
    I am up at 5:30 -6am every day, after an hour of prayer and reading I try to get to the gym around 8am four days a week. I've made some early morning walks myself and found it easier to prayer than just at home at times. I don't mean to intrude, I would understand if you prefer to walk alone. I will give you a call.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no escape. St Francis is in Raymond, Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps remove all pictures of family and friends from home, work and school( especially those that have died) and the flags that adorn the interior of the church. Some folks might think we worship flags. Your blog is out there for the world to see. Please consider the witness. Luke 9: 53-59 And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem.
    54And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?
    55But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.
    56For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.

    ReplyDelete