Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Indian worship in Covered Bridge

What a weird spiritual experience I had this morning! I was prayer-walking in Covered Bridge, a huge (about 900 home) senior condo development in Manalapan mostly populated by Jewish people who have moved from Brooklyn and Queens. While walking before one building on Amberly Drive, a tall Indian man walked out the door near me carrying a large shiny copper vase. (This was unusual in itself, as I have never seen any Asian person in this development, and he looked younger than the senior requirement.) He turned towards the sun (later I realized that this was east) and held the vase above his head in an act of worship. After a little time he slowly poured out a brown liquid onto the sidewalk until the vase was empty. He stood for a bit in an ecstatic worship pose, holding the vase above his head and gazing at the sun.

I prayed to cancel out whatever worship of any false god happpened, as I was praying for blessing on the development.

Does anyone know what he might have been celebrating?

2 comments:

  1. Worshiping the “Sun God” is a common practice among devout hindu worshipers in India. What comes to my mind is a very popular yoga called Surya Namaskara (means Salute to Sun) which stems from this ritual. I wonder if yoga seekers know the hidden meanings of many exercises.

    We worship the God who created the Sun, stars and the whole universe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe he was emptying a spittoon.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete