Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The umbrella- Haiti day 7

Today was the most unusual spiritual experience of all for me. We had a last medical clinic in the mountains. Right before lunch I looked at the crowd waiting, and one girl stood out. She was about 12, and was a pure albino. She had pale skin and white hair, though she was racially black.

She received sunglasses and medicine. Then the doctor asked, "can anyone give her an umbrella?" She really needed one, with the intense sun she got in Haiti, and her ease in getting a sunburn as an albino. I suddenly remembered that I had brought an umbrella in case it rained hard again. I had just gotten this beautiful umbrella before the trip, and now God was asking me to give it to a poor person. This was so hard! I hoped someone else would come up with one, but no one did. I am embarassed at my indecision, but after a few seconds I went and got the umbrella, and gave it to her. I felt such a relief when I parted with it- "he who gives to the poor lends to God."

The girl left the clinic crying for all her gifts, and the kindness shown her (in contrast to the abuse she often endures). I felt such a release in my spirit. It is hard to let go of things, but an incredible blessing to give.

1 comment:

  1. All of us have a lesson in what you just described Paster and you set us all a good example by doing what you did. To let go of things we sometimes deem precious, but the satisfaction one gets when you do give it to somebody who _needs_ it more

    jeyashree

    ReplyDelete