Saturday, October 16, 2010

It's Greek to me

My family is strange. We have discussions with each other about Biblical Greek words! I realized the other day that 3 out of 5 of my nuclear family can read the Bible in Greek. Andrew is taking a course in it at Nyack, I am reading a book on "Word Studies in the Greek New Testament" by Wuest, and Christina can read at a really high level (I have long forgotten most of the less common and complex verb endings and tenses, which are innumerable.) So now we often discuss shades of meaning in this or that word or verse when we are together. But it really is fascinating, as it gives you incredible insights into God's word.

If you don't believe me, look up the word "skandalon" some time.

1 comment:

  1. I think I would enjoy those conversations. If memory serves me correctly I think the word has to do with the setting of a trap in order to cause someone to stumble. I wonder if it is where we get the word in english for scandal. Hmm. I myself have been studying Hebrew words. The Hebrew language is a picture language. Last week in Bible Study we looked into the original word picture in the Hebrew for the word "discouraged". It was fascinating. If you are wondering what it is you can find it under the post for "Handling Opposition" at mwcwbstudy.blogspot.com. (I can be just scandalous at promoting our blog. :-))

    ReplyDelete