Saturday, June 12, 2010

World cup questions

Today at the missions barbeque, many people were following the US-England World Cup game. One person was even rooting for England! I noticed almost everyone who was really into it was born in another country where soccer is big, not in the US.

Here is what I don't get about soccer. Yesterday the two matches ended in ties, 1-1, and 0-0, and today's match was also tied at 1-1. No winners and no losers. Imagine, after working and training for this match for months, and having your whole country root for you during it, ending up tied, or even with no points! This is so inconclusive to me. Why can't they just keep playing until someone scores, as in baseball or football? And a game being exciting when no points are scored by anyone? I would want a refund as a fan. I asked one of the fans today about this, and they said (with a straight face) that the game was great because the defenses were so good that neither team could score any points!

I don't get soccer. Can anyone explain the appeal of no scoring to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment