Wednesday, April 22, 2009

THE WOMAN IN THE PURPLE SHIRT

My son Andrew leads an evangelistic outreach to college students at the huge College of DuPage (known as COD). I thought I would tag along with them, and see what they do there.

Their approach is to pray and wait on God beforehand for direction as to whom to speak to and what to do. So before entering the student center, the 3 of us in his car waited on God to hear today’s marching orders.

“I see a black woman in a purple shirt”, said the girl in the back seat.
“I hear God saying that Islam must bow to Christ”, said Andrew.
After about 3 or 4 more words, we were ready to go.

This kind of witnessing took guts. Six of us from Wheaton divided into pairs and struck up conversations with students who were eating, sitting, or just hanging out. Surprisingly, most were very open to talk. We ran across several Muslims, surprising to me, since we were in the western suburbs of Chicago. After asking God whom we were to speak with, we spoke at length with a student from El Salvador who had an evangelical family back home, and who had frequent dreams of God. It was remarkable how God was reaching out to him.The whole thing really motivated me to be much more sensitive to listening to God while witnessing.

And yes, we met and spoke with not one, but two, African-American students in purple shirts!

No comments:

Post a Comment