Saturday, May 9, 2009

Star Trek for a new generation

I am not ashamed (well, maybe a little) to admit that I love Star Trek. I have seen just about every episode of all the series (that’s a lot of episodes), and all the movies. So Louise (also a Trekker, a less derogatory term than trekkie) and I went to the movie on its second night (after missions trip practice at church- don’t worry, our priorities are OK).

The movie is great! The action and effects were great, and it captured the sense of the great science fiction story. But through going back in time, some major parts of the ST saga have been corrupted- Vulcan, the home planet of Spock, is no more? Spock and Uhura are romantically involved? This was like seeing an old friend after a long time, but the friend had changed dramatically.
But it was fun for us trekkers

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know trekkie was a derogatory term. I'll remember the next time I need to throw insults at a nerd. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in high school one of my room-mates was into Star Trek. He told me that the correct term is Trekker, not Trekkie. He also had a real phaser.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot what the definition difference between 'Trekker' and 'Trekkie'...anyways, I smell one or two more sequels coming. We can agree that the timeline at some point has to be 'corrected' since (1) Romulus and Vulcan gets destroyed (2) the early death of Kirk's father (3) and obviously Kirk's and Uhura's relationship. Perhaps also the interaction of old Spock and new Kirk.. I found it interesting that Scottie was testing transporter technology on a beagle. Thought for a second that maybe Capt. Archer would have been mentioned.. Perhaps in the next one, we'll see some old characters like the classic Piccard, Data, Janeway, etc..(Borg maybe??..Hmm. they DID time -travel backwards to earth to stop Mr. Cochran from developing the warp engine 50 yrs from now..)..I'm gonna stop typing now. Getting too into this now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a pastor, I'm not sure why, even if you are a trek fan, that you would subject yourself to the inappropriate sexual content and the language of the movie. Better to of bought the original reruns rather than watch that nonsense.

    ReplyDelete