Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tomato plants for free

I think I feel more peace in my garden than anywhere else. Today was a perfect day to plant my tomatoes in the garden, since it was cool and rainy. I start them from seed, ordered from seed companies, so that I can grow the best varieties. I put in Sweet Million (the most prolific cherry), Brandywine (considered to be the best tasting tomato by many, an heirloom), Sungold (yellow when ripe), Roma (an Italian paste), Principe Borghese (another paste), Polish Lougisa (something new, an heirloom), early girl, and a few others. The taste of garden-grown tomatoes off the vine is incomparable. You should try them.

I have some plants left over, if anyone wants some. Free.

3 comments:

  1. I'm in for the free. I hope you plan on bringing some delicious tomatoes in to share with your tomato loving office staff when they are ready.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd take 'em, but I've still got groundhogs. Caught 3, but I saw 2 more. Think I've got "Dad" in the cage, "Mom" was trying to free him (I've got photos!), and I saw Junior climbing a small tree nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken:

    I love growing tomatoes. When weeding, I always think of the wheat and the tares. Those weeds are so devious! By the way, I start mine from seeds also.

    I've been mulching with grass clippings the past few years and it works great. If you have a bag to catch the clippings from your mower, just dump them around the plants around 1-2 inches thick. Keeps the ground warm and only a few weeds get through. Best part, it's free!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete